Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

7.15.2004

Mad Town to Sac Town

Hard to believe we've been in Sacramento for almost 6 weeks now.  In some ways, I feel so comfortable here that it already feels like home. But at the same time, little differences keep cropping up to remind me that my relationship with this city is still young, still in the courting phase. The vast amount of body art on the Sac citizens, for example. Or the extreme 30-degree changes in temperature that make the heat more manageable. Needing a motorcycle license to ride the scooter. Finding out that California is the only state that requires a very specific Certificate of Good Standing for a non-profit organization from another state (a certificate not available via the web, of course). Not to mention the neighboring trains, of course...

Overall, though, I'd have to say that both E and I are delighted by our new city. Basking in the sun on a daily basis can be lovely. Rows and rows of trees filter the sunlight and provide haphazard but frequent pockets of shade - the very epitome of "dappled with light." Lively areas with lots of restaurants and funky shops to explore. Definite walkability and easy to get around (although we still couldn't figure out how/where to board the Light Rail that time...).

I created this blog to chronicle some of my experiences with my new city, as I become acquainted with its eccentricities and beauties. I'll provide descriptions of some things I like as well as short litanies of certain aspects that aren't so appealing. The next post will be a summary review of local coffeehouses, as E and I have been on a quest to find an acceptable alternative to Starbucks. Stay tuned...



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time has flown by. My love, we have been so busy and yet done a great deal. Promise me you'll let me know when it gets to be too hot or not cold enough....

Je T'aime!

~E~

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home