Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

11.30.2011

Austin Peacocks

I totally forgot one of the most unusual parts of my Austin trip - seeing the "urban peacocks" in the Mayfield Park Nature Preserve! J and I stopped by the park on Friday on our way to her studio and strolled around a bit to see the peacocks and follow a trail down to the lake. Most of the colorful males were perched on trees or the roof of the building, and we saw a couple of the more drab females strolling around the grounds under the trees. So odd to find peacocks in such an urban setting!

As I mentioned to J, it reminded me of my trip to the Chateau de Fontainebleau back in 1995 when I was living in France and working for EuroDisney. I visited both Versailles and Fontainebleau and definitely preferred the latter (less crowded). During my visit, I decided to enjoy my lunch outside in a small courtyard (I'm pretty sure it was the Jardin de Diane), and I was delighted to discover peacocks wandering about the area! I shared some of my lunch with a few of them, and that image has always stayed with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home