Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

4.08.2014

Day 10: Fox & Goose (and a brief digression)

Tonight we attended the UW-Madison Founder's Day gathering at the Fox & Goose Pub, which is just about 1 block from our townhouse, right at the gateway to the Historic R Street Corridor.

Since we moved here in 2004, we've seen lots of positive changes to the stretch of R Street between 10th and 19th Streets, including some infrastructure investment (improved street surfaces, lighting, and bike racks) thanks to City and Federal funding, development of a new cluster of destination restaurants and venues between 14th & 15th Streets, and the opening of the Safeway grocery store and other associated small retail within the R Street Market on 19th Street.

Initially, we didn't hit up the Fox & Goose as a local eatery to frequent, primarily because the curb appeal wasn't particularly inviting, despite the historic brick building:


At some point, however, we ventured over and have enjoyed many meals since then, especially for post-race and monthly brunches.  And some of the recent improvements to the R Street area have included a new neon sign for the Fox & Goose along with a wonderful and whimsical fox and goose statue that has quickly become an iconic landmark:




I was planning to write an entire post just about the Fox & Goose, but I have to digress to include a description of one of the strangest conversations I've ever had, which occurred at the end of tonight's Founder's Day gathering.  Here's a brief transcript:

Older woman approaches me at the door:  "I have to ask you... when did you finish your treatments?"

Me (huh?): "What treatments?"

Older woman (several second pause): "Well... I assumed... that you're a breast cancer survivor... because of your haircut.  It's often a telltale sign."

Me (wha???): "Oh... no, I'm not."

Older woman: "Well I noticed your ribbon, and at one point in time you looked tired, so I figured you were in recovery."

Me: "It's for AIDS awareness... The red ribbon is for AIDS awareness; the pink ribbon is for breast cancer.  This [gesturing to haircut] is a choice."

Older woman: "Oh, well you'd be in good company."

And.... scene.

I mean, really???  Excuse me???  In my attempt to exit the conversation gracefully, I think I may have actually said something like, "Well, thank you for asking."

How incredibly bizarre.  Doesn't that seem like a rather extreme assumption?  Not to mention rather presumptive to even ask?  And not even an apology for the error!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous APM said...

Man, with my bald head, they'd have a field day with me. :)

2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home