Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

1.21.2015

Day 298: Traffic!

My primary commute methods are bike, light rail, and walking. Every once in awhile, however, I take the scooter out for a spin, and given how the lack of activity recently caused the scoot to need some maintenance work, I now have a goal of riding it at least once very other week to give it some exercise.

We have a Honda Metropolitan that we bought in late fall of 2003 to help with my post-foot surgery recovery phase. Our scoot is dark "denim" blue, which isn't produced anymore, so we don't see too many twins out on the road:

I scooted today because I was planning to run an errand in the afternoon and needed a faster mode of transportation than my bike. In the end, I didn't have to take a break from the office after all (too bad!), and as I headed to the gym after work, I remembered why the other commute options are so much better than any form of vehicle -- 5pm traffic in downtown Sac.

Granted, compared to major large metropolitan areas, Sac doesn't really have much traffic or gridlock. But at the moment, the various road construction projects within a half dozen blocks of each other are creating quite an unpleasant situation. There are lane closures on I Street between 8th & 9th; on L Street all along the Arena construction site from 7th to 5th; and also on 7th Street near the Capitol Park Towers apartment complex between N & P.  Add all of these restrictions to the general influx of folks heading out of downtown in the early evening, and you can end up with a real mess.

The only redeeming factor of the scoot is that California law allows motorcycles and scooters to ride "in between" lanes of car traffic, so I often edge up alongside cars waiting at a light in order to make it through the next cycle and not get caught in a holding pattern. Of course commuting by bike, light rail, or foot allows me to avoid all of these problems...!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home