Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Location: Sacramento, California, United States


Belated Travel Updates -- J Family Trips

Friday, June 30-Sunday, July 2: Lakewood
On my way back east for my annual 4th of July week visit to Mom, I stopped off for a long weekend in Lakewood, CO, to hang out with my girl A. R and F were off on their own adventure in Kentucky for about a week, so A and I got to have some in-depth girls-only time together to chat and catch up.

We took advantage of the sunny and relatively cool weather on Friday to go for a hike and then focused on indoor (air-conditioned) activities on Saturday and Sunday, which were both warmer and more humid. Yuck! Not my favorite!

During the weekend, we hit up Ikea for breakfast and a bit of shopping (note to self: bulk candy display apparently doesn't get refilled until later in the day - darn!), did prep for several "freezer meals" that will be easy to pull out and cook when the new baby arrives, put together the crib and new changing table, assembled a new lamp, decorated the back of F's door with an animal growth chart decal, played several games, and put together an entire puzzle in one evening. Oh - we also went to the Alamo Drafthouse to see "The Beguiled." Neither of us was blown away by the movie, despite the great cast and positive critical reviews, but we definitely enjoyed the fresh popcorn and veggie pizza. And my cocktail was also quite tasty!

It was great to have some quality time for just the two of us, and I'm looking forward to a return trip around Halloween to help celebrate the holiday and meet the new family member, who is due to arrive within the next few weeks.

Monday, July 3-Monday, July 10: Marshfield
My flight from Denver landed in Boston in the early morning hours of Monday, July 3rd. The drive to Mom's was pretty quick at that time of day, and I did minimal unpacking before going to bed. This visit was relatively quiet and mostly restful. A few doctor's visits for both Mom and me, but luckily we managed to fit them all in even with the July 4th holiday.

We finished Mom's entire project list, including some computer work and some house chores, so the week was also quite productive. And we even got some beach time early in the week before the tide schedule got a bit tricky and prior to the heavy rainstorm on Friday.

Mom and I both worked on Wednesday & Thursday, and Mr. E arrived on Thursday afternoon for the weekend. He had been in Chicago visiting with his family since Saturday. I was also able to meet up with my high school pal, E, for lunch on Thursday, and we had our traditional lobster dinner with Aunt M & Uncle J on Saturday evening, since Mr. E left mid-afternoon on Sunday.

Mr. E and I took advantage of the very rainy weather on Friday to catch "Wonder Woman." We initially attempted to see the show at the Patriot Cinemas in Hanover, but the rain and an accident on Route 3 delayed us by nearly 25 minutes, so we were too late for the show time we wanted. Instead, we grabbed lunch at a nearby D'Angelo's and then headed south to the Kingston Mall to see the movie later in the afternoon. I'd definitely rate "Wonder Woman" more highly than "The Beguiled" that I saw with A!

Throughout the week, I headed several times to the Percy Walker Pool in Duxbury to swim laps and also went to multiple Zumba classes at The Workout Club, which is always one of my favorite activities when visiting Marshfield since the CAC here in Sac no longer offers Zumba as part of the Group Fitness programming.

My return flight on Monday was direct from Boston to Sac on Jet Blue, and I was lucky enough to have a middle seat empty next to me, just as I had had during my Southwest flight from Denver the week before. Mr. E and the kitties welcomed me home, and we all settled back into our regular routines for the week.


Post a Comment

<< Home