Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

7.15.2018

Belated Travel Updates: 4th of July

Thursday, June 28-Friday, July 6: Marshfield, MA
I was able to take a full week for my annual 4th of July visit to Mom in Marshfield, starting with my favorite (!) Jet Blue redeye through Long Beach, which departed on Thursday, June 28 and arrived in Boston at 6am on Friday, June 29.  Mom had arranged for Key Limo to pick me up, and I followed my usual routine of taking a nap for a couple of hours once I got to her house, so then I was good to go for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, the Duxbury pool was closed that afternoon for a swim meet, so we couldn't go swim laps together as usual. Instead, I did some Zumba in the office and went to the 10:45am yoga class at The Workout Club. We took care of some errands in the afternoon and enjoyed a dinner of fresh steamed clams and mussels from the Brant Rock Fish Market that evening.

On Saturday, I went to morning Zumba at the Club followed by swimming at the pool with Mom. We then enjoyed some beach time, and I made a light pasta dinner with the leftover mollusks from the night before along with a bunch of vegetables. Sunday started off with a long run for me, and then Mom and I hit the road to drive north to York, ME, to meet up with Mom's cousin, C, who is also my godmother. We had lunch together at the Stonewall Kitchen Cafe and had a lovely time chatting and catching up. Sunday afternoon was a perfect time for the drive, as we didn't encounter much traffic at all. Mr. E arrived later that evening and joined us in Marshfield with the rental car that he picked up at the airport.

Mr. E worked for much of Monday, but Mom and I were able to take care of some projects, go swimming at the pool, and spend some time again at the beach. That evening, we had fresh lobster from the Fish Market. Very hard shells but so yummy and sweet! On Tuesday, Mom went off to work while Mr. E and I both worked from her house, but we were all able to regroup that evening to enjoy the [illegal] fireworks on the beach nearby. I eventually had to escape from the mosquitoes and come back inside, but I still got some great videos and photos.

Wednesday began with a coffee date for me at Starbucks with L, a friend from high school whom I hadn't seen since we graduated in 1990. She's had quite an interesting past few years due to some family transitions, and it was great to catch up with her and chat for a bit. The rest of the day included some house projects, more beach time, and then [another] lobster dinner, this time with Aunt M and Uncle J, which has become sort of a tradition for this 4th of July week visit. The next day included work again for all of us, although Mr. E also had to head to the airport for his flight to Chicago, which ended up getting delayed about 4 hours due to weather and equipment issues. On Friday, Mom and I spend the morning together and took care of some computer stuff before I left for the airport for my mid-afternoon flight to Denver.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home