Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

6.01.2021

Mom Moments in Marshfield

Saturday, May 15-Saturday, May 22

I spent a week with Mom last month to help her organize and purge for her upcoming move to Austin. I was able to work half days, mostly in the afternoons, so we could get projects and appointments done in the morning. I walked along the beach wall each morning and each evening to enjoy the spring weather and extended light. So nice to still have sunlight at 7pm when I logged off work!

We started with a visit to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum on Sunday and had a lovely visit viewing the special exhibition of Shen Wei: Painting in Motion. We then toured each floor of the original building and admired the spring flowers in the courtyard. I had booked the tickets in advance, and they were free thanks to our Crocker membership level. We couldn't make lunch reservations at the cafe, but we were able to get seated right away at a table by the window looking into the outdoor seating area. I had a yummy poached salmon salad, and Mom ordered the chicken sandwich. 

On Monday, we worked for several hours in the morning in the den, laundry room, pink room, Mom's room, and the upstairs linen closet. We made good progress, but our efforts also helped me to realize how much more still needs to be done!

I had to log in an hour earlier on Tuesday afternoon, so we didn't have quite as much time together. I focused on contacting her bank to get her online access set up again since it had been frozen due to a fraud attempt a couple of months ago. On Wednesday, our focus was getting everything ready for Mom's lunch with the ladies, as we welcomed the three women whom she's been calling almost every single morning since the pandemic restrictions began in mid-March last year. Two of the women are work colleagues, and the other is from the Trinity Church family. We set out a buffet in the kitchen of a green salad with lots of toppings, and her guests brought some crackers and bread and a berry fruit salad for dessert. They all really seemed to enjoy the meal and the conversation, and I was glad to meet them and help Mom play host.

Thursday was the one day that I needed to work a half day earlier and finished up by 3pm so that Mom and I could meet [in person!] with her financial advisor. We were able to review all of her accounts and clarified a misunderstanding about her monthly cash flow, which was extremely helpful!!!

On Friday, we met up with Aunt M and Uncle J for lunch at our usual spot at Legal Seafoods in Braintree. We caught them up on all of the plans and schedule. I had a yummy scallop and veggies dish along with a glass of rose.

Mom and I had breakfast together on Saturday morning, and then I finished up my packing and some other organizing before my 11am airport pick-up for my return flight. I'll be back again towards the end of June for all of the final details and to begin our relocation road trip!

My photos from this visit aren't quite as striking as those that I took during my three weeks in October, but I did still get some scenic views of the beach and ocean. Also a glimpse into my Midway airport lunch [love that Chardonnay in a plastic cup!] and reading material...








 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home