Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

11.21.2021

Halloween Happenings in Madison & Denver

Thursday 10/28-Sunday 10/31: Mr. E at Homecoming, Dr. J with Family

Mr. E had the opportunity to return to Madison at the end of October to partake of numerous homecoming related activities, including a basketball game, a couple of donor gatherings, tailgate reception, and of course the main attraction of the Badgers football game on Saturday. He had a great time at all of the events and brought home a few treats, including wooden UW coasters and some cozy new striped W socks for me.

Although Mr. E's trip began on Thursday morning, I didn't head out for my Halloween visit to Denver until Friday afternoon. I was very pleased to use one of my Escape Lounge passes to enjoy some grilled salmon over rice and a glass of Prosecco while I waited for my flight.


A and C met me at the airport, and we stopped at King Soopers on the way home to pick up some stuff for our dinner. On Saturday, we headed to F's soccer game in the early afternoon. He had two games today, the final matches of the season, and he scored two goals during the first game -- his first goals of the season! So fun to see him play! I also got to catch up with W & M who were back in town at their rented condo for a couple of weeks.

A, C, and I skipped the second game and got some lunch at Qdoba and Noah's at the shopping area on the other side of the park. Then we went home and sat outside to carve C's pumpkin. I focused on cleaning the seeds while C gave A design instructions. We had plans to attend a Halloween party nearby in the evening, thanks to an invitation passed along by some friends, but the event turned out to be rather disappointing with really nothing for younger kids to do. So we left after about an hour, did some DIY snacking for dinner at home, and then A, C, F, and I snuggled into the couch in the living room to watch the animated "Addams Family" movie while R caught up on college football in the basement viewing area.

On Sunday, A, F, and I worked on carving a pumpkin for him, and then we relaxed and played games until the early afternoon. Then A took me over to see her parents' condo, where we visited for a bit while they finished lunch. M took me to the airport while A and W went back to the house to prep for trick or treating in the evening.

I was disappointed to find out that the Vino Volo in the Denver airport in the Southwest terminal is closed on Sundays!!! 

At least it doesn't appear to be a permanent closure, and I was able to grab some snacks at a nearby shop since I hadn't had any lunch before I was back in transit.

Originally, Mr. E and I had arranged our return flights to coordinate arrival times at SMF so we could return home together, but United changed his itinerary (grr...). In fact, instead of having a direct flight from ORD, he ended up with a connection in DEN and was able to run to my gate to bid me farewell just as I was boarding my direct Southwest flight! :-) I drove home solo from SMF, and he caught a taxi home a few hours later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home