Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

5.11.2024

Work Trip: Redding

May 7-8: Sundial & Animals

I have several mid-week work trips this month for site visits to grantees of the K-16 Regional Education Collaboratives Grant Program. This past week, my colleague B and I met up with our state partners for a visit to the North Coast. Our site visit group sessions were at the lovely new Community Leadership Center in Downtown Redding, and B and I stayed at the Sheraton Redding Hotel at the Sundial Bridge, a spot that Mr. E and I had discovered during our previous trips to nearby Lassen Volcanic National Park.

I like the hotel partly because of its aesthetic but primarily thanks to its location near the amazing Sundial Bridge that spans the Sacramento River, with great views of the mountains and wonderful trails on both sides. I remember learning about the Sundial Bridge when Mr. E and I were still in Madison, since the architect, Santiago Calatrava, also designed the Milwaukee Art Museum.

Although we were only in Redding for one night, I made sure to take a stroll across the bridge after dinner and again the next day before my workout. 



The Botanical Gardens across the river are featuring Glowing Wild, a light show of plants and animals this month, but unfortunately, the evening viewing is only available Wednesday-Saturday, so I missed out on the show. But I did get some great images of a few of the illuminated wildlife displays during my evening stroll and saw some of them lit up in the morning as well (no photos unfortunately because I didn't think to bring my phone for that walk).





Quite nice to have this sort of view and experience during such a quick work trip! Mr. E and I will definitely need to make a return visit for a weekend getaway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home