Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

7.24.2004

Of Dampness and Driving

Although it's only been about 7 weeks since we made the transition from Mad Town to Sac Town, I'd already forgotten how nasty the high humidity in the Midwest can be. When I arrived in Madison, the temp was in the mid 80s with matching humidity levels, I think. Yuck! Even yesterday, when the temperature had fallen to the low 70s, the additional moisture in the air maintained a certain warmth. The same temp in Sacramento would have required a light sweater. Hmm. Definitely something I don't miss about Madison!

Another thing I don't miss is the horrible drivers. Now it's true that folks in Sacramento seem to be impaired when it comes to using turn signals, but at least they actually know how to drive and are aware of other cars, bikes, or people on the road. Here, drivers are sooooo slow and clueless, lingering back when attempting to make left turns, braking too soon before stop signs or lights, hesitating at 3 or 4-way intersections since they don't know who arrived first. Arrgh! Just drive already!

I'll be glad to get back to Sacramento...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LNJ:
I didn't think I would EVER hear anyone say that there were worse drivers than CA drivers... Then again, I hated driving in Madtown too. One thing I can say is that Milwaukee/Ray-Town and Chi-Twon drivers are better than CA drivers by a far and wide margin.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for you to come home either~~

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home