Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

10.21.2004

GO SOX!!!

I can't believe they did it! Their first World Series appearance since that fateful year of 1986. Wow. Only took 14 years to return to the big time. But the curse hasn't been fully broken yet, since another 7-game series is about to begin on Saturday. Think it'll be Houston so the Rocket can face his old teammates? And lose to them (I hope!)?

I firmly believe that living through 1986 at the impressionable age of 13 was what turned me into a diehard Sox fan. Seeing that 6th game, having that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as they turned what should have been a triumphant win into a devastating loss, knowing deep down that a win in the 7th game wouldn't happen despite the one-day rain delay that allowed a change in the pitching rotation - I swear that this traumatized me to the depths of my soul. At that point, it was either become a member of the legion of the faithful or forever turn my back on baseball. I did the former, but there are times when I wonder how and why I didn't make the more sensible decision to choose the latter!

This morning, I actually attempted to get legit WS tickets for Game 1 or 2 at Fenway this weekend. The Sox had a limited number of tix available and took phone orders beginning at 3pm EST today. So for half an hour, from noon-12:30 PST, I sat with my cell phone in one hand and the land-line in the other and hit redial time after time. No luck. *sigh* No big surprise really, but at least I gave it a shot, right? Guess I'll just have to be content with watching the games on TV.

GO SOX! GO SOX! GO SOX!

Oh yeah, in case you haven't seen it yet, there's a very apt email circulating about how the universal sign for choking is no longer having both hands up at your throat but is instead the New York Yankees logo. Hah! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home