Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

10.04.2004

The Best Partner Ever!!!

Yesterday morning, I ran the Sacramento 1/2 marathon (FYI - that's 13.1 miles). Since the event began at 7:15am, I got up around 6:05am to get ready (drink some water, eat half a Luna bar, put anti-perspirant on feet, apply vaseline to potential chafing spots, safety-pin bib to running shorts, attach timing chip to laces of left running shoe). My wonderful sweet E got up shortly after I did to accompany me to the event, despite the fact that he was sleepy and I could easily have driven myself so that he could have stayed in the warm comfy bed to get some more rest.

But that's the kind of person and partner he is... sweet, kind, considerate, supportive, loving, encouraging, stubborn, incredible.

After all, I was the one who wanted to run the event. I made the decision. But he never even considered not being there for me.

And not only did he drive to the race and keep me company prior to the start, he then drove to several different points along the race route to cheer me on! I had no idea he would do this - I figured he'd go grab some Starbucks or snooze in the car while waiting for me to finish. Instead, I got to see his smiling face and hear his encouraging voice throughout the race, all the way to the finish.

It's impossible for me to articulate how much this meant to me and how touched I was that he was so incredibly supportive. I kept trying to express this feeling to him yesterday, but I don't think I ever really succeeded - my heart and soul felt so full and bursting with emotion, but words simply couldn't convey all that I felt. My love truly is the best partner ever, and I am so very lucky to have him in my life.

I LOVE YOU, E!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LNJ said-

Big props to E. Nothing like a couple in love and mutual support. I wish you both a lifetime filled with the same feelings of support, happiness, love, and joy. All my best...

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LNJ forgot-

Hey, Doc J-

What was your time in the marathon and how did it feel to run it? Hope all is well and we should see if we can't figure out a lunch or meeting or something of the like in the near*ish future.

10:17 PM  
Blogger jms said...

LNJ -

Not sure what my "official" time was (results haven't been posted online yet), but according to my timer, I finished in approx. 1:53:40 (average of 8:42ish miles). And I felt really good during & after - not too sore or tired the rest of Sunday or yesterday. All in all, a fab run, especially considering that I didn't really do any specific training for it. Thanks for asking, too. :)

Tried to post a comment on your blog yesterday but something was wrong with the guestbook. So you mentioned "dating" - do tell!!! And yes, getting together soonish would be great. We didn't have our house-warming party as we had thought we might, but we may be heading to Ikea in Emeryville some weekend in October. Perhaps we could hook up then?

Dr. J

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love him too and we miss him and you, of course and Ms. M! :) Sorry we have been out of touch, but life has been crazy. We will call you soon to catch up. Love C & C from Madtown (P.S. I can totally relate to the overwhelming great partner feeling that you described. I get all teary myself when ever I think of how lucky I am to have such a great partner! ct)

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home