Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

8.31.2004

Real Realtors

One of the reasons we chose Gatejen Realtors as we embarked on our house search was because we met the woman who became our realtor, KM, at an impromptu tour of a house that ended up lasting almost two hours as we hit it off and went back to her office to continue our discussions about where to look, what to look for, how to proceed, etc. It really seemed as though she was a good match for us - very knowledgeable and specialized in the Midtown/near East Sac area that interested us, a background in community organizing and fundraising for non-profits, a true love for the funky urban parts of Sacto. But as we continued the process, occasionally we ran into slight snags in our communication with her or with her colleagues. Overall, everything worked out fine, and we even got our condo for less than our offering price, though we did have to pay our closing costs, which we were trying to avoid, and we also had to make multiple phone calls and faxes to keep the ball rolling at times even though that's what Gatejen was supposed to be doing for us.

What bugs me now, however, is that despite the lip service KM and others paid to the great customer service and ongoing relationships that Gatejen provides, we have not heard anything from anyone at Gatejen since we closed on the condo on 5 August, over three weeks ago. Normally, this might not bother me so much, since I'd figure that the end of the transaction would bring the end of regular contact. But the expectation had been set for additional communication or at least some sort of follow-up call to see how we're settling into our new home.

I'm disappointed. I had really thought that KM and Gatejen might be different, and I'd recommended them to a friend at PPMM. But I don't think that's going to happen anymore. Too bad. It would have been nice to have found a realtor that proved to be truly exceptional rather than simply better at hiding its/her true nature.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodi,

I'm so sad to have this come up during a google search! I had no idea you were so disappointed. I must admit I did fail to contact you after the sale as I left Gatejen Realty right after our transaction. Once I got settled at McMartin Realty I begin making contact with all my clients again.

Since then I have seen you at many of our events, including our client appreciation party. As well as worked in the new community garden with your husband. I hope you would now refer me (and McMartin Realty) to your friends and family! Kristina

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home