Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

10.03.2014

Day 188: More Capitol Box Art

Earlier this week on my way to work, I happened to be on the north sidewalk along Q Street, which brought me into close contact with part of the Capitol Box Art project that I hadn't really noticed before:


This piece, "Scrap Wrap," was created by Julia Couzens.  I think the piece hadn't hit my visual radar previously because I tend to bike on the south sidewalk of this street as part of my morning bike commute, so something about being on the other side and closer to the box made me really take note of the design.

Here's the artist's statement about her creation:

In thinking about a design to wrap a utility box I envisioned electricity as a form of conversational energy and the box as a magnet, or punctuation point, along the Sacramento grid. “Scrap Wrap” represents coalescing particles from the life of the street — scraps of vagrant papers snatched by a breeze, twiggy bits dropped from trees, wind-skipping straws, the boogie-woogie street patois pulled into the orbit of our downtown Capitol City energy.

I enjoy the lightness and whimsy of the design, and it reminds me of something a young child would create with simple geometric shapes and a limited colour palette.  Although this certainly isn't one of my favorites, it's still much better than a typical bland metal utility box!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home