Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

11.21.2014

Day 237: Small Town, Small City

As I was waiting to board the plane from Boston to Salt Lake City last night, I overheard three women in line in front of me talking about Sacramento. They mentioned living in Midtown and East Sac, and since it's not very often that I encounter Sacto residents when I'm visiting the East Coast, the conversation definitely caught my attention.

I ended up sitting just across the aisle from one of the women, so I asked her about the Sacramento connection and discovered that she and her husband and two kids live at 19th & F Streets in Midtown.

Small city... When Mr. E and I first relocated here from Madison in 2004, we lived in an apartment at 19th & H Streets, just a few blocks away!

As we chatted a bit more, I learned that she grew up in Duxbury, one of the towns that borders Marshfield, and that she lived close to the high school and the Percy Walker Pool, which is where I swim when visiting Mom.  I mentioned that I grew up in Marshfield, and she said that she had just been staying with her sister in Marshfield.  "Oh, which part?" "Rexhame."

Small town... As described in my previous post, my Mom lives in Ocean Bluff, which is one of the Marshfield beach communities that is bordered on either side by Rexhame and Brant Rock!

A bit later, I asked her more about the neighborhood where she lives in Sacto and joked that I'd probably run by her house at some point when I was running more and frequently took routes through Midtown. She asked if I'm familiar with a small independent book store on the corner of 19th & F, as she and her family live next door. I said that we used to pick up our CSA box at a house nearby.

Small city... turns out that the CSA Midtown drop-off spot was on her porch! The woman who runs the Heavy Dirt Farm CSA, who is the sister of my colleague, is a friend of a friend whom she knows through playing viola as part of the local band, Be Brave Bold Robot. I guess Mr. E and I may have to catch one of their shows at the Fox & Goose sometime.

Now for the final bit. When I told Mr. E this story, he asked, "Does she have blond hair? And kids ages 7 and 9?"  Um, yes. Turns out that he had actually met her a couple of times when he picked up the CSA box, and he even passed on to her some of the produce that we didn't want!

Small world, hmm?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home