Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

11.18.2015

St. Louis & Louisville

I attended the GPA Conference last week in St. Louis and then headed to Louisville for a short weekend visit with A, R, & F.

The Conference was held at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis, which is right by the Arch, and my room had a fabulous view of the right leg of the Arch, the river, and Illinois just on the other side of the water.

Each morning, I joined a group of fellow conference attendees for a run around the downtown area. We took a slightly different route each day, including along the Riverfront Trail, which included some interesting sculptural murals.

I didn't get a chance to go out much during my time in St. Louis, primarily because I felt queasy and nauseous the evening I arrived and also the afternoon and evening of the day before I left. I had planned to explore some of the nearby restaurants and revisit the 360 roof-top bar at the Hilton near the ballpark, but instead I just stayed in my room.

Luckily, by the time I was ready to leave for my weekend visit to Louisville, I was feeling much better! I had a great time with A, R, & F, enjoying a yummy salmon dinner with the whole family the evening I arrived, followed by two rounds of a word game, Letter Tycoon, with A & R once F went to bed.

This was my third trip to Louisville, and I finally got to experience some good weather and no travel issues! On Sunday, A & I headed out for a morning jog, and we then all spent a couple of hours at the Louisville Zoo.


After lunch, football viewing, a nap for F, and two rounds of a game called Lanterns, we went for a pre-dinner drink at the new 3rd Turn Brewing. One of the co-owners is the spouse of A's colleague, so A & R had already visited the brewery during its initial opening days.

We spent the rest of the evening at home with take-out from Chili's and more football. The next morning, I went for a run (twisted my left ankle... grr... bad running karma for me in this city!) and then said goodbye to A & F before R dropped me off at the airport. Such a nice visit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home