Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

10.27.2004

Indecision

I've got a job offer from PPMM for a part-time admin position that could be a great foot-in-the-door to an organization that I totally support and for which I'd love to eventually work full-time. This should be a good thing. But I'm undecided, primarily because I had at one point decided to withdraw my application and received a call the next morning requesting an interview, so I figured I'd go through with it to see where it might lead. I'm thrilled at the opportunity to work with PPMM, but I'm not sure how having a 20-hour-a-week commitment will affect my current lifestyle.

I've gotten used to having flexibility in my schedule. I'm definitely busy, but I'm able to do things like attend afternoon City Council meetings or Pilates classes or go to the morning Farmer's Market thanks to this flexibility. And nailing down 20 hours a week for a single commitment might prove to be rather difficult and detrimental to some of my other activities (PPMM volunteering, for one, as well as work for Chandelle, Kaplan teaching & training, general home chores, Sacto involvement, not to mention my translation project that has been progressing quite nicely since I've set aside two days a week for writing).

So how do I balance all of this out? I haven't even mentioned the obvious - yes, I'd like to have some time to spend with E, my love, so that we're not both totally busy all the time. That's definitely a priority for me.

My horoscope in the News & Review this week discussed the struggle that sometimes occurs when following your heart conflicts with acting for the greater good. The final advice was to try to do both, but if that's impossible, then focus on the latter. Seems quite relevant to my current dilemma.

I have to decide by the end of this week.

P.S. Can't forget -- GO SOX!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Arielle said...

hey, i´m stuck in bilbao waiting for my bus but i wanted to say congrats on the redsox winning...thats pretty awesome. but how will they distinguish themselves from the other teams now that they aren´t the team that hasn´t won a world series since 1918? ;) i´ll write more later about london on my blog when i get back to logroño...

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home