Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

12.30.2014

Day 276: Comfort Food

Today was rather cold and windy, and as I walked home from a yoga class tonight, I was thinking of heating up a can of soup and adding some extra chicken and veggies to enhance it when I realized I could just make my own chicken noodle soup from scratch.  Perfect comfort food for a chilly winter evening!

I kept everything simple -- organic chicken stock, Barilla tri-color rotini (the only brand Mr. E will buy), carrots, fingerling potatoes, celery stalks and greens, broccoli stems and leaves, a can of diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, 3 bay leaves, and a chopped-up chicken breast.  All of the veggies were organic and/or from the Farmer's Market, of course.  I think the only thing I really wanted to round out the dish was some grated parmesan cheese on the top for a bit of extra flavor.

After I finished my portion, I had enough for 3 smaller and 1 larger containers to save.  Mr. E enjoyed the larger container when he got home from playing volleyball, so the 3 smaller containers remain in the freezer for future lunch or dinner options.  Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home