Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

4.22.2018

Mahalo Moment: Corgis!

Short little legs, close
to the ground,  like Miss Muffin,
but in canine form.

When I run around Downtown and Midtown Sac, I often don't have a specific route but instead take a course that aligns with the traffic lights or avoids too much pedestrian traffic. My morning run today took me towards McKinley Park, and at one particular decision-point, I noticed a woman with two dogs farther up the block. I initially thought I should turn to avoid needing to squeeze by on the narrow sidewalk, but then I realized that the furry critters were corgis. My favorite! So instead, I continued along my way and was able to greet the adorable canines as they accompanied their human on a morning walkabout.

Corgis were one of the first dog breeds that I could recognize and call by name. When I was younger, I attended St. Margaret's overnight camp in Duxbury a few summers in a row. One of the neighbors had corgis that they raised as show dogs, and they invited the campers over for a demonstration. I immediately fell in love with the plump, low-to-the-ground, sweet-faced little canines.

Later, when I met my wonderful Muffin cat in Portland, I realized that corgis are the canine version of Muffin, particularly when she was in her "Rubenesque" stage of curviness. Mr. E may love his German Shepherds with their Frito-smelling paws, but I'll stick with the corgis!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home