Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

4.20.2020

The Fifth Week (April 13-19): Vet, SSPCA, Patio Party

Monday, April 13-Wednesday, April 15
The week started off slowly. Highlights at the beginning of the week were pretty much limited to takeout from Specialty's for me on Monday and from Chipotle for Mr. E on Tuesday. And actually, the lunch on Monday ended up going to Mr. E for dinner that evening because I didn't realize that the shredded cabbage base of the Spicy Thai Salad included a high concentration of scallions. Darn. Even Mr. E was a bit overwhelmed by how many scallions had scattered throughout the salad, especially for the last few bites.

I took Calypso to the vet on Tuesday afternoon since she had recently been throwing up her nightly wet food even though we'd been giving her that kind for more than a year, ever since she had her dental work and multiple teeth extractions. She had lost a little bit of weight, but all of her other behavioral indicators are fine, so the vet agreed we could just continue to monitor here and bring her back for a weight check in about two months. In the meantime, we of course are no longer giving her any wet food!

The vet visit itself was quite strange. Midtown Animal Hospital isn't allowing any people into the clinic, so all of us pet parents were waiting with our furry friends out in the parking lot. A vet tech came out to greet and screen each visitor and to document the reason for the appointment. But I wasn't terribly confident that the full story was really getting through or would be accurately communicated to the vet (sort of like the old game of Telephone, when the message gets changed as each player passes it along to another). Luckily, the vet herself called me on my cell once she was done with the exam so that we could talk directly about the plan for Caly.

During my Wednesday morning run, I noticed that the West Sac goats had been moved to the far end of the Riverfront, so I think their engagement may be almost complete. In fact, some of the goats were going already in a big trailer attached to a pick-up truck heading away from the area. The second highlight of my morning run was a construction crossing at 3rd and R Street. All of the commercial construction and street work continues despite the pandemic, and I don't always know which streets will be open to pedestrians, so I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't be able to get through. However, the construction crew was very friendly and paused a piece of machinery to allow me to pass.

My takeout lunch from Specialty's was much more successful today, despite the fact that it wasn't ready when I arrived. Since the service is usually very prompt, I asked one of the staff to check on my order. As I continued to wait, I noticed another staff person at the register processing a transaction, and she then came over to me with a cash refund in hand. I was so surprised! She explained that a man had come in before I got there and grabbed a bag, and the staff had concluded that it was my order that went missing. So not only did they remake my salad quickly, but they refunded my money even though the incident was in no way their fault. Most excellent service!

On the way home, I noticed that the basketball rims had been removed from the backstops at the Roosevelt Park courts as a final deterrent to people who were continuing to shoot hoops despite the signs indicating that all recreational park facilities are closed. So far, however, the city hasn't put up physical barriers around the fitness court in the opposite corner of the Park, and it's definitely being quite well-utilized most days.

Thursday, April 16-Sunday, April 19
I woke up feeling really tired on Thursday, so my morning workout was a walk around Capitol Park while talking to Mom and a longer yoga practice rather than my usual cardio session. The SSPCA hosted a volunteer Zoom call in the late morning. Seeing some of the staff and so many other volunteers was really fun. I was impressed that the CEO was on the call, and he answered lots of questions about how the SSPCA is operating and how volunteers can continue to support the work of the organization. I rounded out the day with some solo tennis in the early evening while Mr. E continued his garden efforts.

I finished off a big work project before noon on Friday, which gave me time to join Mr. E for his walkabout around Capitol Park. We saw a couple on the lawn doing yoga acrobatics, which was amazing to watch! I think they were either recording a video on their phone or doing a livestream. Impressive!

We started off our weekend with brunch from Fox & Goose on Saturday morning followed by a walk to Safeway for "second coffee" at Starbucks. The rest of the day was filled with laundry, some cleaning, and backing up the computer. E and C came over to join us for another Patio Party, and this time we got takeout from Koja Kitchen, which Mr. E had noticed was re-opened during a run earlier this week. E and C hadn't tried out this restaurant before, and they were very pleased with the food. So fun to be able to introduce them to a new spot since they're usually the local restaurant vanguards who fill us in on the newest foodie options.

Mr. E had to put in a few hours of work on Sunday. We should have had Yoga in the Ballroom at the Crocker for me and a massage for Mr. E in the afternoon, but instead we occupied ourselves with reviewing Spanish to prepare for the upcoming virtual session with Casa de Espanol (me) and more projects in the garden (Mr. E). I also took a walk to the Little Free Library near the Midtown Park Bark to drop off more books and this time found two to bring home in exchanged. We finished off the evening with tennis at the warehouse and only lost one ball this time. I think we're improving! Mr. E then went to Safeway but was a bit frustrated by some empty shelves. Our theory is that the staff would be re-stocking at the end of the weekend, so we may plan to try a different day and time in the future. Luckily, between Safeway and our local Market 515, we're usually able to find everything we need. And he was able to procure the priority adult beverages and cinnamon bears. Phew!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home