Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

11.03.2004

Renouncing My Country of Birth

Today, it's clear to me that I'm not of this country, that I don't really belong here at all.

From all reports, Bush will be in the White House for another four long years, and the majority of my supposed "fellow" Americans are responsible for putting him there, not to mention for banning gay marriage in 11 of these "United States." What a misnomer. There's nothing "united" about this country at all, especially not right now.

I feel sick.

I can't even express what I'm thinking and feeling right now except for this knot in the pit of my stomach and this wild desire to flee. When I think about how the country has changed over the past four years, how the Bush administration has damaged so much that I held/hold dear, how our international relations have soured, how the economy has suffered, how my civil liberties and rights as a woman have been degraded, how people whom I love (i.e. LGBTQ) have been devalued and disenfranchised - it just makes me shake my head in frustration and anger and fear and sorrow.

I feel sick.

My country has betrayed me.

Today, I'm ashamed of being an American.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I truly believe it is a test for all of us that feel we have been wronged in some way. If we run, they win. If we stand up and fight, then there is hope. We just have to hold on to what little we have before this little will look like a great deal. Our dignity, strength, lives, beliefs and beings are at risk. I can't let them win. I can't.

Let them flaunt this shadow of a victory, blind the masses and condemn the just. We will return and rise like the phoenix from what is left of this country. But, the battle has only begun. We must fight. Let our struggle be our guide and influence where and what we can. Remember that victory breeds complacency. Patience and fortitude are what is necessary.

Struggle for our lives.
Be the hero we seek now,
For our time will come.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LNJ-

Not much to say, but I feel shocked and hungover. We should get together and talk soon. Damned... I don't even know if I should cry or scream or what. 60% of the country voted and everyone commented on what a huge turnout there was... What would happen if 90% ever voted? I hate to say that I fear the same shit.

America, home of the brave, land of the sheep.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Arielle said...

Just a comment from the other side of the Atlantic... They think the US is insane. They have no idea why people support Bush, they are just as confused as we are. What is worse is that they think all Americans feel that Bush should be in charge. I´m doing my best to change this stereotype along with my other American friends here (including one who now cannot get married in 11 states). I dread the fact that for 4 more long years, the rest of the world will hate us... arg.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Arielle said...

Just a comment from the other side of the Atlantic... They think the US is insane. They have no idea why people support Bush, they are just as confused as we are. What is worse is that they think all Americans feel that Bush should be in charge. I´m doing my best to change this stereotype along with my other American friends here (including one who now cannot get married in 11 states). I dread the fact that for 4 more long years, the rest of the world will hate us... arg.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home