Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

11.14.2005

Sunday Morning Run

Results from yesterday's Paul Reese Memorial Clarksburg Country Run (20 miles):
  • Time - 3:12:25
  • Pace - 9:37
  • Place Overall - 120 of 217
  • Place in Gender - 35 of 97
Not too bad, especially since I really hit the wall around mile 14. I had a great run through about the half marathon point (13.1) but then my legs started to lose energy. I had expected this to happen, since I'd had an upset stomach all day Saturday and Sunday morning so couldn't follow my usual eat-a-Luna-bar-along-the-way strategy for long runs. My body simply didn't have enough fuel to keep going after a certain point, even though I made sure to alternate water and gatorade at each aid station and to grab an apple slice and orange slice when possible. But for the first time ever, I felt light-headed and dizzy at the finish and had to ask Mr. E to pull over at one point on the way home because I felt like I was going to throw up. Bleah. I hate bad run days!

But it's all a good learning experience. And at least I didn't have any physical issues (knees, feet, etc.), so that's a good sign. I'll just need to be sure that I carry enough fuel during the marathon to keep replenishing my energy. This also confirms my decision to be a bit conservative with the CIM and sign up to run with the 4:15:00 pace group rather than trying to be too ambitious and aim for something like a 4:00:00 time.

Three more weeks 'til the big day! Woo-hoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home