Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

4.22.2014

Day 24: WEAVE

A few months ago, I completed a brief orientation and training so that I could volunteer for WEAVE, an amazing local organization that provides domestic violence and abuse services throughout the greater Sacramento area.  Many volunteers complete additional intensive training so that they can staff the Safe House, the phone hotline, or the on-call Sexual Assault Response Team, but I knew that I didn't want to be involved in "direct services" to clients, as I don't have the right disposition for those types of interactions.  Luckily, WEAVE also has a very robust program of special events and community fundraisers, so I've been able to volunteer for several activities that were focused on gaining support and resources for the organization.


Tonight, I helped assemble goodie bags for the VIP sponsors and teams of the upcoming "Walk a Mile in Her Shoes" event, which will take place on Sunday.  Mr. E and I will also both be doing some volunteer shifts at the event itself, and I'm really looking forward to seeing all those men in high heels as they complete the course!  Below is a photo from the 2012 event to give you a sense of what this event is all about...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home