Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

4.28.2014

Day 30: Sacramento's Bike-Friendly Neighbor Across the Causeway

This afternoon, I was part of a 3-member panel at an event presented by the UC-Davis Humanities Institute to provide Humanities and Social Sciences graduate students with some guidance around careers paths, both within Academia and beyond.  Mr. E and I don't often travel to our neighbor city across the causeway, and I'd never been to that part of the UC-Davis campus before.

As I walked back to my car after the presentation, I was struck (almost literally!) by the enormous number of bikes streaming along the roadways.  The campus has an extensive system of bike trails, as does the city of Davis itself, and I was clearly strolling along during a major bike rush hour.  I didn't have a camera to snap a photo on the spot, but this gives a pretty good simulation of the experience (just imagine all of these bikes in motion as you're trying to cross the street...):


And I thought that UW-Madison hosted a rather large number of bikes!  No contest compared to UC-Davis, at least not at 5pm on a lovely Monday in late Spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home