Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

5.09.2014

Day 41: Goodyear Cobbler & Cleaners


Goodyear Cobbler & Cleaners in on 10th Street between P & Q, just over 1 block from our townhouse.  We don't have much dry cleaning, but I do like to get my winter coat cleaned, and this is the closest facility.  I've also had a need for a few shoe repairs from time to time.  The cobbler did great work on 2 jobs, but I was very disappointed with the 3rd job to replace the insole/lining of a pair of comfy black sandals.  I had to use an Exacto knife to more closely trim the insole and remove some of the extra glue.  According to Yelpers, I'm not the only person who had some issues with the shoe tasks.

What strikes me the most about this business, however, is the woman who seems to work there every day, all day.  She's of medium height and very skinny, with white hair always pulled back, and she wears jeans or pants all year, even in the middle of summer.  When I stopped by this evening around 5:30pm, she was wearing a black turtleneck sweater despite the high 70s temperature and sunny skies.  I often see her at the bus stop on 9th Street, just across from our townhouse complex, so it appears as though she relies on public transportation.

The business is never terribly busy when we stop by, so I imagine that it's rather monotonous and boring work.  I wonder how she approaches her job and is motivated to get up every day to make her way to the shop.  I'm so curious to know her story!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home