Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

10.15.2014

Day 200: Rainbow

I'm at a conference in Portland, OR, for the next few days.  My arrival at PDX was a bit delayed due to a thunderstorm over the airport, so we had to circle for about 5-10 minutes before we were able to land. I spent the time reading the Southwest airline magazine, and at a certain point, I glanced out the window to judge if we were any closer to the airport and was delighted to see a full-colour rainbow arcing over the Columbia River! 

Since my vantage point was higher than usual, the rainbow appeared larger than a semi-circle, with the tail ends starting to curve in towards each other again to complete the full circle.  It was gorgeous!  And it stayed with us for most of the final moments of the flight until we dropped closer to the runway.

Seeing the colorful arc reminded me of when I moved to Portland in June 1993 after graduating from Wesleyan.  Some of my fondest memories of that summer were of the frequent rainbows and ever-present rose-bushes that permeated so many of the residential areas I discovered as I got to know my way around the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home