Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

3.02.2005

Back to Sac

Dad was transferred from BWH to a rehab facility last Friday afternoon, so I'm back in Sacto and trying to catch up on work and life. I still feel a bit disconnected from the "real world" at this point, since I spent two weeks of February back east and the entire month feels like a blur. I can only imagine how much more disconnected J is feeling since she gave up almost four weeks of her life to care for Dad and deal with some of the necessary administrative matters (taxes, van, new location, etc.). It was definitely a stressful month.

It was interesting to take note of the changes and additions to my hometown of Marshfield, MA (where I stayed with my Mom during the weeks I was back east)...

New in Marshfield & the neighboring Pembroke (where the highway exit/entrance is): Lowe's, Au Bon Pain, Ember (a restaurant that looks waaaay to chi-chi for my hometown and that opened in the former Lou's 139 location - a once-venerable landmark that had been closed for awhile, so at least it's good to see something there), 99 Restaurant (popular local chain, sort of like a TGIF or Chili's), Pacini's (new Italian dine-in/take-out restaurant where the fish place had been), and a fabulous new Skate Park in the Library Plaza.

Closed: Rick's Deli. Though I did see some workers there during the last few days, so perhaps there are some re-opening plans.

Under construction: a Roche Bros. (hardware store, I think) in the big lot across from the school complex. Bummer, that. Perfect spot for a recreation facility or something connected to the schools and to youth activities, but I guess the town didn't get its act together soon enough to get anything done.

Old favorites still in place: Friendly's, Marshall's, multiple Dunkin' Donuts, Marshfield Liquor Store, Shaw's/Star Market, Starbucks (a rather new old favorite, actually), Gunther Tootie's bagels, CVS (the best pharmacy EVER!!!).

Other discoveries: Trader Joe's & Panera Bread at the Hanover Mall (next town farther north from Pembroke), Bonne Maman lemon tartlets & Hit sandwich cookies & low-fat Peter Pan peanut butter & lots of fair-trade Green Mountain coffee at Shaw's/Star (Who would have thought that my hometown supermarket would provide such a wealth of hard-to-find-in-Sacramento items? I stocked up quite a bit on my first trip at the beginning of the month).

Going "home" is always an experience, isn't it?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LNJ says-

Going 'home' is strange. As I do it twice a year (on average) I may be better insulated against it, but it still freaks me out to see new things and change to the place I grew up.

Other news and notes... I have started bloggin again. Put off car in ineterest of health (see blog for updates, or call). Found out my overseas options are still wide open. If I get stuck with one more needle I will hurt someone. :)

Glad to have ya back and I hope that stress comes down and life gives you a break. Do something nice with E to relax.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home