Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

8.15.2014

Day 139: Can You Identify a Bait Bike?


A couple of years ago, my old bike, which Mr. E had bought me at Budget Bicycle Center on Regent Street in Madison back in 2003, was stolen from a bike rack across the street from Michelangelo's in Midtown Sacramento.  I must admit that I was only using a cable lock rather than a U-lock, but that had been sufficient for nearly 10 years up to that point, so I was quite shocked to come out of the restaurant after having dinner with L to find an empty bike rack.  Grrr.

I ended up purchasing a new bike at Mike's Bikes on 14th & I Streets and have been so much happier with this bicycle, primarily because it's a step-through model so it fits my body better and is far easier to ride with a variety of clothing, especially skirts and dresses.  Stolen bikes are quite frequent in Sacramento, unfortunately, and the Sac PD has begun to implement a bait bike program to track stolen bikes and find the culprits.

One of the bait bike stations is near The Press Bistro, where I met up with S tonight for Happy Hour.  What's sort of funny about this particular bait bike station is that I park my own bike there so often that I actually do know which of the other bicycles is a bait bike!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home