Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

10.25.2014

Day 210: California Capital Book Festival

The inaugural California Capital Book Festival is this weekend at the Sacramento Convention Center. 


This is a free community event, so I when I learned about it a few weeks ago, I emailed my Book Club to see if anyone was interested in attending.  M was the only person available, so we made plans to meet up this afternoon.  However, once we both looked at the agenda, we weren't as enthusiastic about the prospect, and she called me earlier today to chat about our options.  We agreed that it might not be worth going (and certainly not allocating two hours to the experience) since there weren't any authors on the agenda of particular interest to us.

I figured I might still check it out after getting a haircut, if the weather cooperated, and since the sun was still out once I was finished at Super Cuts, I jumped back on my bike and headed over to the Convention Center. 

I strolled around the Expo Hall and learned about the nine Wells Fargo Museums throughout California; heard some great spoken-word poetry from Noah Hayes, which was best when the religious references weren't the primary focus (he's a fellow blogger, too); and was delighted to watch the tail end of a short performance by the Sacramento Ballet as a preview of this weekend's performances of The Great Gatsby:


I'm glad I took some time out of my day to take advantage of this Sacto event!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home