Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

9.12.2005

AIDS Run

Ah... the joys of participating in race events with small fields...

The Sacramento Valley 5K AIDS Run/Walk (5th year of the walk, 1st year of the run) was on Saturday morning, rather overcast and chilly. I needed to get in 10 miles total this weekend, so I got up early to do 7 miles prior to the 3.1 mile race, which was 3 laps around Capitol Park. I really wasn't sure how I'd feel at that point, but the 7 miles plus the half-hour break in between runs seemed just fine. My plan was to run the 5K with my "alternate blocks faster" strategy, and not only was I able to do this, but (wait for it...) I was also the FIRST WOMAN TO FINISH!!!

Yep, that's right, I was the overall women's winner of the 5K event with a time of 23:28. WOO-HOO!!! So of course I also finished first in my age group. And I finished 18 of 121 total. Not bad, especially considering my 7 mile "warm-up" prior to the race, hmm??!!

E took some great photos of each lap as well as the end when I got to "break through" a ribbon since I was the first woman to cross the finish line. I'll post the photos online sometime this week.

Not a bad way to start off a gray and cool Saturday.

Too bad things didn't go so well for the River Cats... We went to Game 3 on Friday with friends LNJ and G and then returned last night to sit on the lawn for Game 5 -- much delirium when the Cats tied it up in the bottom of the 9th, but we left after the 10th just as they were starting to get into trouble & heard the disappointing final results via the radio/Internet. Drat! Still a great season overall, though, just some sloppy play during the final home stretch.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Congratulations! I never thought of "alternate blocks faster". I must try that some time. You are still missed at LSS!

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LNJ-

Kick booty on that run! That is VERY cool. Well done and way to go. As for the RiverCats; they muffed it? What, who, where... am I outside??? That's to bad, but then again, that's Oakland for ya.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home