Fish Out of Water

Musings and observations about life from an East Coast native now living on the Left Coast in the California State Capitol since 2004. This fish has made her home in Madison, WI (7 years); Portland, OR (2 years); Las Vegas, NV (7 months); Middlebury, VT (3 summers); Marne-la-Vallee, a small town east of Paris, France (6 months); Middletown, CT (3 years); and Marshfield, MA, the fish's coastal hometown 40 miles south of Boston (17 years).

Name:
Location: Sacramento, California, United States

3.09.2006

Running Risks

Funny thing happened when I got home from work yesterday: Around 3pm, I pulled the scooter into the driveway, turned it off, grabbed my keys from my coat pocket, and went to open the front door (all as usual). Looking at my keys, I realized that some were missing. Hmm. And those some that were missing just happened to be my house keys. Double hmm. Quick flashback to the morning when, after returning from my run, I put my keys next to the Fresca can on the counter, thinking that would be a good way to remember to place them back on my main key ring since I always take out the recyclables when I leave for work. Triple hmm. Guess that didn't quite happen yesterday morning...

So there I am, stuck outside. No extra set of keys hidden anywhere nearby. No spare set living with a neighbor. No way to manually open the garage and no set of keys in there anyway even if I could have gotten in. Luckily, I do have my backpack with cell phone, wallet, etc., so I call Mr. E to see if perhaps we do have a spare set of keys in existence somewhere outside the condo, but of course I was correct in thinking that we don't, so we chat for a bit about what I could do in the meantime since Mr. E has a late meeting at work and won't be home until after 6pm.

I end up heading to Target to look for some workout clothes so that I can still at least go to my Pilates class at 4:30pm at the gym (and I'm currently in need of some new non-running workout clothes anyway) and manage to find a pair of pants and a top to tide me over. Of course, I don't have any gym shoes, so my plan to do the 5:15pm Cardio Party class is scrapped, but then I remember there's a 5:15pm Mat Pilates class, and the new outfit will do just fine for that.

All in all, then, the afternoon & early evening turned out pretty well, despite the silly situation of having no keys. I guess that's the risk you run when you run in the morning with just your house keys to lighten your load and forget to re-load your key ring before scooting to work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home